Friday, November 07, 2008

Transfer your Skype IM history from PC to Mac

Having recently made the jump to Mac (and loving it) the first thing I installed on my new MacBook was Skype. It is fantastic on the Mac by the way - with the built in iSight and screaming fast processor - the HD video and voice sessions on the Mac are incredible. The omni-directional mic is just fantastic. The Mac was built for Skype.

Much like my Outlook .pst file, I wanted to transfer my chat/IM history to my Mac. It is quite simple and here are the steps.

First - on your PC go to: C: > Documents and Settings > "username" > Application Data > Skype >"username"

and copy the entire "username" file that you want to transfer.

Copy this information to a thumbdrive and transfer it to your mac desktop to which you have Skype already installed. Place the folder on your Mac desktop and open Finder.

Navigate to "Username" > Library > Application Support > Skype and then drag your username file from your desktop to the Skype folder and replace the folder with the new one you are dragging.

Presto.. start Skype and you have your IM history.

I did get an odd "password is incorrect" notice on my first boot of Skype, but after I entered it - I had my IM history intact.

7 comments:

Peter Parkes (Skype) said...

Glad the move went well - how's life on the Mac?

Andrew said...

The hardest thing has been unlearning windows. But overall it is just fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the perfect instructions. I've just got a Mac and needed transfer my skype chat history from my Vaio on to it. Skype help wasn't very helpful but your post was brilliant! All my history is now on my Mac (which is a fab machine). Thank you!

Andrew said...

@mj - glad I could help. Enjoy the Mac!!! , and be sure to get the Skype beta for Mac with screen sharing.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/macosx/beta/

WebSight said...

Thank you so much for those instructions. I am just going through the computer swap now.

Unknown said...

I'm doing the same thing. My second Dell crashed and now I'm going back to mac after 3-4 years. So I already started up skype on the mac and have been using it. I should have transferred the files before I started. Now if I try to skooch over the old im data and folders it asks if I want to replace. Any ideas on how to get a smooth transition from this point?

Unknown said...

re:skype on the mac... I'm sure the mic and speakers and camera blow my lattitude out of the water, but the interface drives me crazy. i want my contact list where it used to be. i wish it had the same layout as i was used to on the pc. hope i get used to this soon. and really hope i can sync it. all my developers and designers are on skype. we share links and info and files, etc. i really need to get my previous chat sessions back...